Very welcoming, homely
and comfortable.
Homemade fruit loaf and
tea on arrival was a lovely
We have been coming for
a week in September for
15 years. It suits us very
well. We are very
Copyright  2011  All rights reserved Mrs Iona Robertson              Web Design
Tel:+44(0)1764 671094
Mob: 07751 111540
We enjoyed our stay very
much. Such a lovely lady.
Very comfortable. The tea
and scones sure tasted
Comrie is a conservation village acknowledged for its outstanding beauty
and situated in a National Scenic Area around the River Earn in the West
Strathearn area of Perthshire. It sits at the confluence of three rivers -
the River Ruchill and the River Lednock, both tributaries of the Earn
which itself eventually flows into the River Tay.
In the Take a Pride in Perthshire Awards in 2010, Comrie came out on
top in the Large Village category and the judges commented that “all
approaches to Comrie and every available piece of ground is tastefully
and beautifully landscaped with permanent planting, punctuated with
splashes of spectacular colour.  An absolutely outstanding effort by
Comrie in Colour and a privilege to see”.
Comrie was the The Royal Horticultural Society’s "Large Village Britain
in Bloom Winner" in 2007 and 2010 and it has also won a number of
awards in the 2009 Beautiful Scotland Campaign, including Best Village.
The name Comrie is of Gaelic origin and is derived from the Gaelic word
conruith meaning 'a place where rivers meet' or 'confluence'. Due to its
position astride the Highland Boundary Fault, Comrie has, in the past,
experienced earthquakes and it is now nicknamed the "Shaky Village". It
became the site of one of the world's first seismometers in 1840.
To the north of the village, Ben Chonzie (a Munro) and the Grampian
Mountains rise  dramatically while to the south of the village, wide and
open moorland is joined by gentler mountains and glens which provide a
diverse range of terrain and plant life. The focal point of the village is
The White Church with its conspicuous tower and spire situated beside
the ancient churchyard at the heart of the village.
An obelisk on the summit of Dunmore Hill to the north is a memorial to
Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville. This monument is reached by way
of the wooded Glen Lednock which contains the Falls of Lednock
otherwise known as The Deil’s Cauldron.
For more information